Dr. Doris M. Kutz-Compton
Chiropractic is a solid combination of specific science and the art of adjusting the spine and extremities. Because the spine is the channel between your brain and nearly every cell in your body, every aspect of your life is controlled by this very important association.
Doctors of chiropractic have a deep respect for the body's ability to heal itself and devote careful attention to the structure and function of the spine, its effects on the neurological and musculoskeletal systems, and the importance of these three systems working together optimally to ensure the preservation and restoration of health.
THIS GOES WAY BACK
The philosophy behind chiropractic can be traced all the way back to 2700 B.C. Chinese and Greek writings mention spinal manipulations and maneuvering lower extremities to ease low back pain. The infamous Greek physician, Hippocrates, published writings detailing the importance of chiropractic. Around 400 B.C., he wrote “Get knowledge of the spine, for this is the requisite for many diseases."
In 1897 the first chiropractic college (Palmer School of Chiropractic) was opened in Iowa by Daniel David Palmer. Throughout the twentieth century, doctors of chiropractic gained legal and professional recognition in all fifty states and dozens of countries around the world.
YES, CHIROPRACTORS ARE DOCTORS
Doctors of chiropractic complete four to five years at a chiropractic college. The complete curriculum includes a minimum of 4200 hours of classroom, labratory and clinical experience. Approximately 15% of those hours are dedicated to adjusting techniques and spinal analysis. The remaining 85% focuses on the structure and function of the human body in health and disease. This includes anatomy with human dissection, physiology, and biochemistry.
Following graduation, doctors of chiropractic must also pass the national board exam and then their particular state’s exam. Once licensed, chiropractic physicians are able to diagnose, provide therapy and radiological services, and adjust. They are able to diagnose and treat, which separates them from other professionals such as physical therapists.
A chiropractic “adjustment” describes using a carefully directed and controlled pressure to restore and enhance joint function and mobility. Patients may feel soreness following an adjustment, but it is rare to feel any pain. Adjusting a joint can result in the release of the gases in between the joints - making a popping noise.
“Chiropractic patients were found to be more satisfied with their back care providers after four weeks than were medical patients. Results from observational studies suggested that back pain patients are more satisfied with chiropractic care than with medical care. Additionally, studies conclude that patients are more satisfied with chiropractic care than with physical therapy after six weeks.”
-Hertzmann-Miller et al (2002), American Journal of Public Health
“Patients with chronic low back pain treated by chiropractors showed greater improvement and satisfaction at one month than patients treated by family physicians. Satisfaction scores were higher for chiropractic patients. A higher proportion of chiropractic patients (56% vs 13%) reported that their low back pain was better or much better, whereas one-third of medical patients reported that there low back pain was worse or much worse.”
-Nyiendo et al (2002), Journal of Manipulative and Physiological Therapeutics
For more information on chiropractic please visit The American Chiropractic Association’s official website at www.amerchiro.org.
We are in network with the
following insurance companies:
Blue Cross Blue Shield
GHP - Coventry
Copyright 2013 New Haven Family Chiropractic LLC